Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Prayer of Betty Stam

The following prayer captivated me many years ago when I first read it. I have prayed it, kept it, used it countless times since. It has become mine. And time will only continue to tell how God will keep answering this cry of my heart.

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to Thee, to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt. Send me where Thou wilt, and work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever."

Written by Elizabeth Scott at the age of 18. She later traveled to China to meet her fiance, John Stam, a young missionary with the China Inland Mission in the early 1930's. In less than a year after their marriage, they were captured by Chinese Communists and beheaded in the streets of the village where they lived and ministered.

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Joe said...

that is an incredible prayer.

whats even more incredible is the brief story you told about the young one that said it.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You only pray a prayer like that if you believe in the sovereignty of our God. Knowing that His will is ultimately what we would choose if we knew all He knows.
I love you.
lys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home