Putting the BAR in Barista...
Finally! Yours truly is picking up (not mastering, yet) the fine nuances of the Starbucks coffee bar, drinks, and recipes. Last Saturday, they had me on the bar for the afternoon. It was nice cause it was slow. But I did it! Then on Monday, it was just me and 1 other girl. She took her 10 minute break and left the whole store to me. It had been slow, but suddenly we had a line-up. I very calmly ran the register, marked cups, then made the drinks in record time and efficiency. : ) Okay, so a pro would have done it faster. But the point was that I held it together and made the customers happy.
And I never once sprayed scalding hot milk.
Friday morning (no, I don't have any news to share other than Starbucks updates)... As I was saying, Friday morning was very busy. I had the opening shift. Which for me means the alarm goes of at 3am (is that even a time on the clock??), I leave the house by 3:30 to get to the store by 4:15. Between 6:30 and 7:00, I nearly broke the store record for most transactions in a half hour period. The record being held by my learning coach, who happened to be there that morning with me and was shocked beyond belief that a new barista could handle that pressure.
C'mon! I wasn't making drinks. I was running a cash register (which is fun to me, anyway) and talking with people and moving them through efficiently. And it's always nice to impress your learning coach.
Therefore, they have scheduled me for the opening shift on the busiest shopping day of the year: the day after Thanksgiving. And I can bet they won't have me on the bar...

3 Comments:
3 am? OUCH.
Yay for you working the bar! :-D
Hey...that's awesome that you're on bar! I'm still going to have to find your store though. *shakes head*
Welcome to the demented side of Starbucks; getting up at the ungodly hour of 3 am!
Aww, how fun... not the 3am thing, but the rest of it. ;) My sister Megan loved the opening shift... it gave her time during actually day-time hours to get stuff done(or hang out with her boyfriend who is now her hubby.)
So fun to hear what's going on with you! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home